Transnational syndicate involved in SA kidnappings
The arrest of four Bangladeshi nationals in a series of police raids across SA has exposed a transnational kidnapping syndicate operating in the country, reports Sunday Times Daily.
The four have been charged with the kidnapping and murder of Bangladeshi businessman Reza ul Amin Moola (29) who was snatched from his shop in Kwaggafontein, Mpumalanga, on 16 December.
The SAPS are now helping their Bangladeshi counterparts, the Dhaka Metropolitan Police, hunt for the masterminds of the syndicate who operate in that country.
A source said the syndicate is allegedly behind the orchestration of the kidnapping of at least four Bangladesh businessmen in Gauteng and Eastern Cape since 2020.
‘This syndicate is huge. The people behind it are particularly brutal and are not afraid to torture, maim and kill their victims,’ he said.
Sources said Moola’s kidnappers allegedly demanded his family, who live in Bangladesh, pay a R300 000 (1.5m Bangladeshi Taka) ransom for his release.
The ransom was to have been paid to the syndicate in Bangladesh.
The four suspects were arrested on Friday and Sunday in Komani (Queenstown) in the Eastern Cape and Vanderbijlpark in Gauteng.
On Friday, Mpumalanga and Komani detectives arrested Mohammed Rahman and Mohammed Alamin at a hospital after they were allegedly assaulted while apparently trying to kidnap a Bangladeshi businessman in KwaBhaca (Mount Frere) last week.
Rahman and Alamin appeared in the Mkobola Magistrate’s Court in Kwaggafontein on Tuesday. They were not asked to plead and were remanded in custody.
Their two alleged accomplices were expected to appear in court yesterday.
Article disclaimer: While we have made every effort to ensure the accuracy of this article, it is not intended to provide final legal advice as facts and situations will differ from case to case, and therefore specific legal advice should be sought with a lawyer.