Convicted murderer Jason Rohde will urgently apply for bail this week so that he can deal with a hostile business partner who is a threat to the financial security of his daughters.

‘I respectfully submit that in the interests of justice I am permitted bail to afford me the opportunity to generate income and maintain my children financially, and of course, afford them emotional support,’ he stated in his application filed in the Western Cape High Court last week.

A Weekend Argus report says Rohde’s lawyers are hoping his urgent application will be heard on Wednesday, if not by his trial judge then by another senior judge. Rohde’s dramatic bid to be freed from Drakenstein Prison in Paarl – where he is currently serving a 20-year sentence for the murder of his wife and defeating the ends of justice – comes hot on the heels of his successful appeal to the SCA.

The report notes the company in the application’s spotlight is Lew-Geffen Sothebys International Realty, Johannesburg North, Rohde’s last remaining financial asset and his daughters’ only lifeline.

The company is owned by Rohde, his mother Brenda, long-time business partner Maureen Taggart and Lew Geffen. It has been struggling to survive since Rohde’s incarceration and is ‘desperately in need of my management and administrative involvement,’ said Rohde, ‘without which, it will inevitably fail.’

More pressing for Rohde, however, is a ‘takeover attempt’ by joint shareholder Geffen, who terminated him as chief executive of the holding company after his arrest and ‘disassociated himself from me entirely’.

Full Weekend Argus report (subscription needed)