Legal Articles and Guides
Science & Technology Law
Science & Technology
Nkosana Makate has hit out at Vodacom for portraying him as ‘greedy and unreasonable’ after the company said it had been generous in its compensation offer to him. ‘The CEO's determination considers me as a charity case and ignores the fact that I have a binding commercial agreement with Vodacom as found by the High Court and upheld by the Constitutional Court,’ said Makate.
Nkosana Makate is expected to take Vodacom back to court to fight the compensation offer made for his 'Please Call Me' idea. The Sowetan yesterday reported that Makate said his legal team has already drafted court papers to have Vodacom's determination reviewed. 'It is ridiculous and it is flawed, so on that basis we are going to review it,' he told the paper.
The ANC failed to obtain rights to the domain name of its website after an adjudicator, appointed by DomainDisputes.co.za, ruled against the party this week, says a News24 report. The party approached the body after service provider Unwembi Communications claimed ownership of ANC domain name www.anc.org.za.
Two men alleged to have kidnapped a Witbank boy and demanded Bitcoins in exchange for his safe return will spend the next few months behind bars as they await trial. The pair appeared in the Witbank Magistrate's Court yesterday where their case was postponed to 17 April, says TimesLIVE.
Vodacom is facing the escalating wrath of customers and citizens over its long battle with former employee Nkosana Makate, who invented the Please Call Me service. The Star reports Vodacom has been warned that it has until 10am today to pay Makate or face citizens who are mobilising for a total shutdown of services at Vodacom stores.
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has entered the dispute between Vodacom and 'Please Call Me' inventor Nkosana Makate, calling on the cellphone giant to pay up by the end of January. In a tweet, Lesufi says Vodacom will face the 'wrath of the nation' if it did not pay up, according to a TimesLIVE report.
The long protracted legal battle between Vodacom and ‘Mr Please Call Me’ Nkosana Makate (42) seems to be far from over, notes a report on the SowetanLIVE site. The latest salvo between the two comes after Vodacom was reported as saying it had agreed to pay ‘reasonable compensation’ to Makate. However, Makate took to his Facebook page to dispute that he had agreed to what he deemed an ‘insult’.
The Eastern Cape’s multimillion-rand broadband project – at the centre of a legal battle between two state organs – has been ruled irregular by the Eastern Cape High Court (Bhisho). Judge John Smith declared the R220m project – awarded to Liquid Telecom in October 2017 – ‘reviewable’ and that the Eastern Cape entered into the contract without approval from the State Information Technology Agency (Sita).
The ANC is concerned about the digital divide due to high data costs and has joined mobile data service providers in the call for ‘more spectrum’, says a Fin24 report. Noting ‘the cost of data in SA is significantly higher than other African countries’, the ANC's Phelisa Nkomo said the release of spectrum would lessen the network burden of operators. This submission was made on the third and final day of the Competition Commission’s Data Market Inquiry on Friday in Pretoria.
Both Vodacom and MTN have indicated data prices could fall dramatically when access to new radio frequency spectrum becomes available, notes Legalbrief. This became evident at the Competition Commission’s public hearings as part of its inquiry into the country’s data costs, which are perceived to be abnormally high.
Discovery has moved swiftly to seal the document to contain possible fallout after hundreds of its clients had personal information such as names, ID numbers and contact details disclosed in court papers that have been accessed by third parties. Discovery said yesterday the data was never publicly disclosed and it had taken steps to comply with the Protection of Personal Information Act, notes BusinessLIVE.
Treasury is the latest victim in a spate of hacking attacks aimed at government websites. News24 reports that it received an alert from anonymous Twitter user @VirusSec that Treasury would be his latest target. Moments later, the government department's website was inaccessible.
Hackers using state-of-the-art technology stole and defrauded South Africans out of R250m in a single year, according to the SA Banking Risk Information Centre (Sabric) when releasing the latest digital banking crime statistics yesterday. It revealed that in 2017 cyber-criminals were involved in 13 438 online‚ mobile and Internet banking attacks, and the total sum siphoned off in all digital banking-related crimes during that year was R250m.
An out-of-court agreement has been reached between 'Please Call Me' inventor Nkosana Makate and Vodacom, after the cell giant went to court to apply for a gag order against him, prohibiting the dissemination of any information regarding settlement negotiations between them.
Mweb and Telkom have had to withdraw advertisements that were misleading on the promise of benefits. A TimesLIVE report notes Paul van Ramesdonk had lodged a complaint with the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) against a Telkom advertisement which states ‘Storage: 32 GB‚ 4GB RAM’.