The District Six Working Committee, the organisation that spearheaded a court case against the Department of Rural Development & Land Reform to compel it to ensure claimants return to the area, is mulling further litigation, notes a News24 report.

This after the department promised the return of 108 claimants to the completed phase three development back in March.

The committee says it will apply further legal pressure on the state to speed up its lagging land restitution process in the area.

Committee spokesperson Karen Breytenbach said the situation has become untenable.

‘The many delays we’ve seen with the current third phase of the District Six restitution project over the past year are not only holding up other parties and parts of the greater restitution process, but are causing grave, repeated distress to the already traumatised claimant community,’ she said.

Breytenbach added they were deeply concerned and dismayed about the ongoing delays and excuses on the part of the national government.

They have since met with their legal team at Norton Rose Fulbright to find a way forward for the claimants.

‘The committee's legal team is writing to Minister Thoko Didiza and her senior legal team to request that they urgently address several previous concerns about the lethargic restitution process in its upcoming progress report to the Land Claims Court which is due next week Friday. The committee and its legal team will be requesting an urgent meeting with Didiza and her State Attorney's Office.’

The department had promised in June that the process of returning to District Six for these claimants would take place from 24 June to 16 July.

Since then, the process has been marred by delays, with the department citing Covid-19 as a reason.

Full News24 report